Monday, 1 November 2010

Steering Group Minutes 28.10.10

Transition Crouch End (TCE) Steering Group Meeting
Thursday 28 October 2010, The Maynard

Present: Rebecca, Richard, Andy, Gillian, Tilly, Bethany, Jo
Apologies:  George, Rachel, Cathrina, Kate

Minutes of last meeting agreed

  1. Apple Day Debriefing
  2. Growing Spaces – Stroud Green Library and Hornsey Vale Kitchen Garden
  3. Church Farm CSA
  4. Apprentice RCA
  5. Up and Coming Events
  6. Governance
  7. Communications
  8. Any other business

  1. Apple Day at HVCC on 16 October 2010

What went well -
the numbers (approx 400); the timing – a seasonal event just before Halloween; the variety of apples; John Selborne’s  talk and Sarah Moore’s, cookery demonstration; the sale of  produce;  the sustainable values in the café; Food Programme’s Sheila Dillon’s presence, the pre-event apple pressing in Crouch End, possibly at the Town Hall.  The event, after café monies were divided three ways, generated £179 for TCE Funds.

What didn’t go so well-
There was some confusion over allocation of tables.
The position of the apple press in the centre of the room was a little hazardous.
It was difficult to hear the demonstration.
The café signage and pricing could have been clearer.

Next year’s Apple Day will be Saturday 15 October 2011 with a public apple pressing in Crouch End on Saturday 18 September 2011.
 TCE will lead on the organisation of Apple Day, including the refreshments, layout of the space, with a quiet zone.  The map should be used to book tables before the event.  The apple press will be placed either in a corner or another room. 

  1. Growing Spaces

Stroud Green Library
A regular group meets on Saturday and records tasks completed or to do in a logbook.  Fifteen different types of salad have been planted and the shady area mulched; there are plans to grow food in tractor tyres from the farms.   The library have been very supportive and offered a notice board to display transition events.  The project featured  in the 21 October edition of the Ham and High.

Hornsey Vale Kitchen Garden
Due to bookings in the centre, it has been difficult to set up a regular monthly workday.  Once this is established Rachel has offered to leaflet her street to muster more interest. Tilly has researched the cost of signage and a noticeboard.

Note there is a workday at the Harold Road Community Garden (the Police Station Plot) on Saturday 30 October 10-1pm.

Both projects intend to apply for Capital Growth grants:  the deadline is Monday 8 November. Tilly and Richard will finalise HVCC bid after the Management Meeting on Thursday 4 November.

  1. Church Farm CSA

There are fifteen weekly boxes delivered to Crouch End but the scheme needs 25 to be sustainable.  One problem is potential customers would prefer to have the boxes delivered.  The social side of the CSA has been successful and Rebecca and Church Farm’s Becca have talked with Haberdashery Café about meeting there till 7pm.  Massimo is also happy to let people use the garden for stalls.

Talk to Food Cycle about sharing delivery scheme. (Rebecca, Gillian)
Encourage at least one other person to join the scheme.
Create a membership scheme, possibly paid or a Googlegroup.
Organise a designated CSA meeting to discuss this.

  1. Apprentice RCA

MA students from the RCA are on a weeklong two-site project:  looking at communication  between the Meadow Orchard Project and Hornsey PCT, and working with traders in Wards Corner, Tottenham.  The project will run from Monday to Saturday and will be based in the GreenLens Studio, N4. 

Action:  Richard and Gillian will participate in the Monday evening presentations.  Rebecca will collaborate with the students on Bonfire Night .
 Everyone is invited to the final presentations on Saturday 6 November at the Meadow Orchard Project.

  1. Up and Coming Events

Just log in as and use the normal password.

We would also like to offer a fundraising event, a table top sale. early next year, with the possibility of a café space for people to share ideas about community projects.

Gillian is also planning a ‘Not the CV’ workshop looking at skills needed for a post peak oil future.

Action: Confirm with George, if projector is needed for Transition Uncut
Tilly to confirm date of Table Top Sale with HVCC

  1. Governance
      Good idea to have an AGM with a communal lunch, either in January or February next year to reform    
     the core group. 
Action: Arrange date with HVCC

  1. Communications
There needs to be a meeting to discuss the website and other issues around communication.
Action: Gillian and Tilly to convene, with possibly Jo Angel

  1. Any other business
 Foodcycle have now opened a community café at the Station House on Stapleton Hall Road.  They  open Friday 12-2.30pm.

Date of the next meeting:  7pm Monday 6 December  2010 – venue tbc

No comments:

Post a Comment